I’m in the enviable position of spending a large part of my time interacting and working with researchers from across the entire University. As such, I get to hear about just some of the fascinating research that takes place here, from areas where I have a passing knowledge to questions and issues I had never even thought about. It seems a shame to keep all these remarkable stories in my head. In addition, I have been known to say that I’ve never come across a researcher who hasn’t been able to explain their work to a lay audience (OK, admittedly it’s easier for some, but given time and a few handy tools I still believe this is the case). But it’s a bit glib for me to state this and not rise to the challenge of whether I can explain other people’s research.
So I’ve decided to combine the two and keep track of my encounters with researchers – when I meet a University of Bristol researcher as part of my work I’ll try and get them to explain their work to me. I’ll then write a brief snapshot of what I think their research is about* and post it here, with the hope that others get to see just what amazing and unexpected things people work on at the University of Bristol.
* with the caveat that it’s my interpretation of their work so any errors or inaccuracies are mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment