In case of misunderstanding, I'm not suggesting that anyone who isn't a parent is somehow any less of a good PE professional. Several of those I most admire and respect are not parents (at least as far as I know, not everyone shares their personal lives). I'm simply describing how being a parent has had a positive impact on me and my professional practice.
Firstly, despite having lived in Bristol for eight years, and it feeling like my home, I never felt I knew much beyond some very discrete pockets of the city. Nowadays, these pockets have significantly expanded, thanks to everything from midwife appointments to the continual demands of entertaining and inspiring a mini person in all weathers and situations. And it's not just my geographic knowledge that has expanded (and my knowledge of every café and place with changing facilities). I've come across people from all over the city, from all different backgrounds and communities. I've participated in a range of activities run by entrepreneurs, by charities, by local neighbourhood groups. It may take me many more years to truly know Bristol but I'm starting to feel like I belong.
Secondly, I'm now part of a common shared experience. Every child is different but there are some pretty universal things that we all go through. And a whole raft of amusing, embarrassing and downright adorable stories that can be shared. I'm not saying only mums can engage with other mums; that's completely not the ethos that we work by. But it's handy that there is now this one extra life experience that I can directly relate to on a personal level.
Finally, I have even more to fight for. I've always done my job in the hope of, in some small way, making the world a better place. But now, it's not just for me, or even for wider society (hugely important but ultimately vague and faceless). It's for her. I will do anything to ensure that my daughter lives in a world that is safer, healthier, fairer and happier. And from now until the day I die, I will work to create this future, for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment